Flexible and Portable Photo Enforcement Solution
REDFLEXspeed® is a versatile, advanced photo enforcement solution for detecting and deterring speeding in a variety of conditions. The latest innovation in the REDFLEXspeed lineup is a handheld solution that offers law enforcement agencies optimal flexibility when monitoring speeding incidents in complex roadway environments.
The handheld solution allows officers to easily and quickly point handhelds in any direction, and they can physically post up in positions where it’s not feasible to place a permanent system. Moreover, the technology eliminates the need to chase speeders, which can put an officer in danger and reduce the number of violations captured. Officers can then upload incidents to Redflex for processing prior to final police review and approval.
While fixed, semi-permanent and vehicle-based speed enforcement are ideal in many environments, the handheld technology carries additional benefits in select conditions. For example:
- Construction Zones: Construction and road workers need to work dangerously close to passing traffic. And, the construction zone itself may make semi-permanent units impractical if the sidewalk or roadway has been torn up. If safety is a concern, an officer can stand near the site to monitor passing traffic without the need to physically pull over a vehicle when a shoulder may not exist.
- High Pedestrian Traffic: Think tourist attractions, shopping areas and special events where hundreds or even thousands of people frequent. Speeding incidents can be downright deadly and difficult to monitor. An officer with a handheld camera can easily shift with the crowds and detect dangerous driving behaviors without disrupting traffic.
- School Zones: Children don’t always have the life experience and knowledge to regulate their own safety on roadways around schools. Officials have an extra responsibility to ensure their safety. Handheld cameras provide officers with the ultimate in flexibility – they can shift from one school zone to another very easily, even within the same day.
- Challenging Terrain: It’s impractical to post a speed enforcement unit around challenging terrain, such as a bridge or in an area without shoulders or pullouts. Officers can post up in more areas on foot than they can with larger fixed or semi-permanent units. Further, it can be even more dangerous to physically pull over vehicles in these areas.
Redflex combines the latest, innovative technology with a turnkey program to become the trusted, full-service partner that municipalities need to reduce speeding, preserve taxpayer resources and save lives.
- Handheld LIDAR devices negate the need for construction and roadway/intersection installation, and therefore require less upfront investment
- State-of-the-art image recording and data capture technology, providing law enforcement agencies with the information they need to determine whether a violation occurred
- Highly secure web-based interface for law enforcement review
- Assistance with deployment options and site selection using historical data and speed site surveys
- Easy upload of incidents to Redflex data center
- Triple-verification of all incidents, and subsequent citation processing and mailing once a law enforcement has deemed a violation occurred
- Full customer service suite for motorists, including a call center, IVR and multiple ways for the public to pay fines